Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kitty Wallis painted my portrait today!


Portrait painting. Kitty has been painting portraits since she was a young student at Cooper Union. Of course, portrait painting and Kitty's unique approach to portraits MUST be a part of her book.

Today, in the quiet and comfort of my studio, Kitty painted my portrait in front of several objective observers. We all had a good time and Kitty and I pulled together some wonderful information for her book.

Although, in the end, she was not satisfied with the likeness, I loved the sparkle of mischief she captured in my eye!

Photo credit: Roxanne Colyer Clingman

6 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

wow! I wish I could see it...it looks fantastic!

SamArtDog said...

How cool is that!!! It's a fun picture of the two of you, and the pastel seems to look like your twinkly eyes. Even if Kitty wasn't satisfied, I hope you got to keep it and/or will show it.

Casey Klahn said...

I second that wow. I couldn't figure out why she didn't like the likeness, then I realized we're looking at the portrait obscured by Kitty's arm.

But - the eyes are just right, which is the window. And, the colors suit you (although I don't know you, I get some type of feeling about the colors - warm, complimentary and in concordance - and yet they are common colors in Kitty's palette).

She is a fine artist - what a skill. I used to draw the portrait, and this makes me itch to do so again.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Kitty is absolutely inspiring!!

Time to get back out to the studio to PAINT more PORTRAITS!

Suzanne said...

I agree with Celeste and the others. Wow! was my 1st response. That's incredible to see the color choices from Kitty. So vibrant and alive. She captures your spirit!

Kitty Wallis said...

Thank you for posting this, Katherine. I enjoyed the whole time we spent together. Writing, dining, and doing that portrait. I look forward to doing another.