Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sketching


Like most artists, I bring a sketch book with me wherever I go. I have them in all sizes. When I go on the boat, I bring an Aquabee 11 x 14 so that I can do easy watercolor washes and any kind of pencil or pen. The 90# pages are pretty tough.

In my car is a an 8 x 10 parchment paper sketch book. I use it to record what I see and what I think when I am out on my own at refuges and other birding locales.

But, when I am doing my normal stuff and carrying my purse, I have a 5 x 7 inch Moleskin with me. The pages are thinner than the Aquabee, but nothing beats it for convenience.

You won't be surprised to find out that as I waited (four and a half hours) while my friend was in surgery, I pulled out my Moleskin and sketched. Nothing fancy. The beautiful third floor courtyard, the chapels, the other people waiting, whatever caught my eye.

I just picked up a couple of books on how to keep a good sketchbook. I would like to improve what I do.

P.S. My friend is just fine! Hooray!

No comments: