Friday, September 23, 2011

notan: reducing an idea to black and white design

Still working with the same ideas, but tipping them on their side to see what happens. 

Here I reduced it all to black and white to see if I translated my concept of the parents forming a protective and solid geometry for the less stable baby. I had the parent shapes fill out the base of the painting to help indicate stability and strength of form. I stylized the background into a suggested triangular form, triangles are very solid citizens in the geometric shapes community.

Did it work? 

Here's a link to a great instructional video with loads of ideas about how to use Notan in your art practice.

1 comment:

Casey Klahn said...

Or, perhaps that's a diagonal? I like diagonals.

Watching you incorporate your whole experience of the new baby is a thrill. Thanks for sharing on your blog.