Sunday, June 23, 2013

sense of self

Gathering a Sense of Self, 22 x 22, acrylic

"Every autobiography is concerned with two characters,
a Don Quixote, the Ego, 
and a Sancho Panza, the Self."

W.H. Auden, Selected Essays


I can feel it happening. With each year, I feel the disparate parts of my life pulling together in a weird synthesis. My interests and areas of serious study form partnerships in my mind and come out in unexpected ways. Music (of course), Literature, Psychology, Seminary, and Art swirl together and make a new kind of sense. Sometimes, jibberish. Sometimes a beautiful language with familiar rhythms. 

While my physical eyes seem to weaken with age, I have increasing clarity about myself. Not just the seemly parts, the admirable qualities, but also the darker side, those shadow elements. I can not ignore them because they are sharply focused and obvious. Both seemly and unseemly, fitted together without apology.

It is a gathering of my sense of myself.

"With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone." Oscar Wilde

I am on the wisdom track.


Santana "She's Not There."




4 comments:

Sergio DS said...

Years and experience become all people on the wisdom track.
Congratulation, and for your pictures too.

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

insightful words that resonate-thank you!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Thanks, Sergio. Not all get wisdom, but I'm working on it.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Glad to see your name in the comments, Jan. Thanks.