Thursday, September 4, 2008

Trying new things



Once a month, I participate in a structured critique. It is not easy putting artwork up to be evaluated, but I think that it's been a good experience for me. First of all, I always learn something about how to improve my work. I usually learn something about myself, too.

Today I discovered that I am impatient in a slump. I'm not giving up or anything, but the new things I tried this week were not rousing successes. Somehow, though, I don't mind too much.

Here are the two I brought in for critique. They are small, only 11 X 14 and 12 X 16. Compared to my usual 18 X 24 or larger, quite small. I can see how working small caused me to tighten up. Use a tentative stroke. Feel inhibited, in a way. The consensus was: work big! I think I'll do that tomorrow.

No comments: