Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pastel making with Kitty -- Day One

Three and a half inches of snow fell at Kitty's while we were busy making pastels!


A day of pastel making, but this was just part one of a two day project.


we made four batches of white to bring the colors down in value

Yesterday was a great day! It was day one in a two day adventure at Kitty's studio making very special pastels. First we started with pure colors and their values. Hansa Primrose. Azo Yellow. Quinacridone Magenta. Napthol Red. Ultramarine Blue. Pthalo Blue. We mixed and rolled and formed these beautiful pure colors.

While we worked, we didn't really notice that the temperatures were dropping outside. It started to snow around 4:00 and what was at first just a few flakes, quickly became a good snowstorm right at rush hour! People abandoned their cars in the middle of roads. It took four hours to travel ten miles! I was snug at Kitty's house. Three and a half inches fell in Southwest Portland.

I don't drive in the snow. Really. Hey, I'm still a bit of a Valley Girl, I guess. My dear husband picked me up at Kitty's place later that evening.

2 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

I can't wait to see the end "crumble colors". You are so lucky to get to do this! The snow was certainly an interesting added feature.

Carrie said...

I guess it was a case of the snow making it's own weather conditions. Quite a difference today. Were you going to make crumble colors today? I will be looking very close at your pictures since I got the details from KW on the process. Thanks Katherine for photo journal of steps.