Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30 minute drawing

The rhythm of a figure drawing group sets the tone for the entire session. At Hipbone Studio, Jeff Burke (owner, teacher, facilitator, and sometimes model) selects the music and keeps the time. He also makes sure that the pose offers something for everyone in the 180 degree drawing space.

First the gestures. 90 seconds a piece. Fast paced. Quick and loose. Then a few 5 minute poses. Wow. Five minutes feels like an hour after the 90 second poses. Then a couple of 15 minute poses. And last, the 30 minute poses. Three of them. 

In 30 minutes, it's possible to really develop a drawing. I had a nice spot for this pose and I took my time with it. Just vine charcoal on newsprint, but I can feel the person in the drawing. And I like that!

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

The life class at Hipbone forces your hand. Beautifully.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Figure drawing is the best way I can think of to spend 3 hours. Do you have a local studio for it?