Friday, December 28, 2012

experimentation

pastel, 7.5 x 11.5
 As the year rushes to finish itself, I am busy cleaning up from the holidays, getting rid of "things" I no longer need or want, and looking back on 2012. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

More than two months ago, I prepared the painting surface you see in the piece at the top of this post. I used molding paste and acrylic pastel medium on Rives BFK paper. It was not until yesterday that I knew what to paint on it. The texture grabbed the pastel in unexpected ways and I enjoyed skimming the pastels across the ridges with contrasting value marks.

"The true method  of knowledge is experiment." William Blake

Auld Lang Syne by the Leonard Trio.



2 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

I REALLY like this-beautiful nuances and value shifts-puts me in mind of a mysterious winter-land that I could happily get lost in

Kitty Wallis said...

Ethereal. I like it.