Saturday, December 20, 2014

overcoming dissatisfaction

Mixed media: acrylic, ink, charcoal, pastel

I coach myself: Don't panic, don't worry, don't even feel tense about it! It will pass.

And eventually it passes.

Whenever I put my work out into the world in a show, after the initial excitement and rush of attention and positive feedback, ...

I feel lost.

Empty and grumpy.

And dissatisfied with my art making.

Now that I have experienced this up and down cycle many times, I am better prepared for the down time. And this time I have tried something new.

A challenge.

What would happen, I asked myself, if I painted over one of those scrap sheets I used in my printmaking? Just use the sheets of brayer cleanings and texture wipings as a base and painted over the top to create something new.

Since I considered the scrap sheets trash to begin with, I really had nothing to lose. And I painted. One. Two. Five.

And that empty, growling feeling has lifted!

It hardly matters to me what comes of these pieces, but I am thrilled with the process of taking random colors and textures and shapes and creating something new. Overcoming feels pretty strong and wonderful. It reminds me of brighter days ahead.


One of my most beloved Christmas traditions is making music with my sons. It's harder to do now that they are grown and have families of their own (and their own traditions). This year, we will all be together for Christmas Eve and I am hoping we can play together -- with added music and voices from their wives and children. Even if it's mostly just noisy and not terribly musical, it will fill my heart with joy!


Wishing you all  Merry Christmas, happy holiday, and joy in the coming days!

Enjoy this hauntingly beautiful arrangement from The Piano Guys, "O Come, Emmanuel."

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Thank you for the beautiful music !
Merry Christmas !