Monday, December 7, 2009

Sailing Club

9 x 12

It was a great opportunity to play with abstraction as I worked on my third entry for "Subject to Interpretations." If you haven't see it yet, just click on the title and that will take you to the blog.

Instead of painting the boats, I zoomed in on the sails and focused on how the wind and light defined their forms.

The Portland Plein Air and Studio Painters have tried to maintain our group painting efforts through the cold weather months by creating winter projects. This year, I designed the project in the form of a new blog. Twice a month, I post a photo reference (the "Subject") and all of the artists from the group can paint from that and I post the photos of their paintings (the "Interpretations"). The holidays may keep many artists from painting in December, but this is my entry.

I remember watching the Olympia Sailing Club out with their boats on a race in Budd Inlet last summer. Their bright sails in the full sun were graceful as they caught the wind and light and I took many photos of them and sketched them as they zipped past. And now, I look forward to seeing how the other interpret the scene.

1 comment:

Celeste Bergin said...

a wonderful solution--I really like it a lot. The shimmer in the sails is so well done!