Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day Three of Kitty Wallis Workshop



Kitty calls her workshops "Color Intensive" and she is RIGHT! Here's what a temperature-controlled value palette can do. For this study, Kitty had us choose warm colors for the lighter values (in equal value steps, light to mid-tones) and cool colors for the darker values (equal steps from mid-tones to dark). Good to know how the warm lights make this painting look like a lemony confection!


In this study, we selected both warm and cool pastels for each of the value steps, and then used that limited palette to render a painting from a black and white photo. What do you think?


This was my final painting of the day. My painting time was very interrupted but I am still pleased with some parts of this painting. I can see the the values are considered and even describe some of the forms.

Here you see a more fully developed color wheel. Notice the shift from the outer pure colors to the more grayed tones in the center. Choosing the right pastel for value-matching was a big challenge. On the right you see my table-mate's box. It was great to meet Dori Dewberry and see her fine work during the workshop. You can see more of her work on her blog here.

4 comments:

Kitty Wallis said...

Thank you for posting this fine report of our days working on color. Too bad you couldn't be there for the pastel making day.

We spend so much time choosing those limited pallets that I'm impressed that you get so much done on each piece. I like the boats for the strong gesture and the shore for it's bold, unapologetic color choices.

SamArtDog said...

Being a self-confessed color junkie, I can get lost for hours looking at these paintings. To the moon, Alice!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

So glad you posted this. It really helps me understand more what Kitty was trying to get me to do. It is something I will need to continue to do and practice to grasp a better understanding.
You got a lot done for being the answer lady for everyone. I really like how your painting are working here. Very clear what you are doing with wonderful color that is really working. Nice translation of values.

loriann signori said...

Hi Kvan! Thanks for posting about your experience at Kitty Wallis's workshop.