Thursday, May 14, 2009

Self Portrait

Self Portrait
18 X 12, pastel

Many artists paint self portraits. Art schools require them. Models are expensive and self portraits are economic. Self portraits allow the artist a chance to express something about themselves.

At the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco, I saw a self portrait of Rembrandt. He did several self portraits in the course of his lifetime, some of which you can see if you click here.

At the Weinstein Gallery I saw Odd Nerdrum's "Self Portrait in a Tree Trunk". This painting fascinated me and I was moved by its naked truth.

Put these ingredients into my brain and shake. I have been thinking hard about what I might say about myself in a self portrait besides somewhat representing my physical likeness. I intentionally did not paint myself attractive, but plain.

What do you think I am expressing about myself in this self portrait?

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

great job, Katherine..I don't know what you are saying..but it looks authentically you.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I tried to show an observing eye. The bright eye that looks with curiosity and without judgment. My eye.

Thanks for your comment, Celeste!

Celeste Bergin said...

well I NOTICED that sharp eye... you succeeded