Saturday, October 24, 2009

Foggy Refuge

This morning it was cool and damp. The fog clung to the hills like wet towels. My favorite wildlife refuge was covered in gray and the sound of the train going past was muffled by the moisture.

While talking art with a dear watercolor artist friend today, I promised that I would show the under painting of this piece. Missing the gum arabic, the pigments in dispersion I use function just like watercolor without filling the tooth of my sanded paper surface. I paint vertically with a large round brush and let the drips happen as they will. I really love that part of the painting process!

Here and there in the finished painting, the under painting peeks through, getting a word in edgewise.

1 comment:

Kitty Wallis said...

Beautiful. And a good idea to show the underpainting. What size is it?