Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nearly finished -- Oysterville

At the workshop, CaseyKlahn mentioned several times that we should be willing to "lose something precious to find something new." I think that the grasses in the foreground of this piece have become too "precious" to me, so tomorrow I will brush or wipe them down and see what something new I discover.

I love how the start from yesterday provides a dynamic surface for painting and the incised calligraphic marks give me a happy zing when I paint over them. And, because they are my marks, they speak my language.

Here's a sweet little piece to enjoy, if you like. Why try to change me now?

6 comments:

m.gaudreau said...

I am quite blown away by the color and creative energy in your work. Sometimes I get to involved in the realism of the scene when attracts me formost is the emotion of being there. I need to push a little harder. Beautiful work.

Pam Holnback said...

Love seeing the step from yesterday to today. Great colors!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Hi Michael! Thank you for the comment and for stopping by. Your paintings are beautiful -- how will you push?

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Hi Pam -- I enjoyed the start yesterday so well that I did a batch of them today! It's an exciting process and I am learning a lot! Thanks.

Casey Klahn said...

After I got done thinking about those grasses, I did get really excited about the middle area in violets and grays. That is a happening place, and I am enjoying the WIP as well.

Fun to see Fiona Apple, whose minimal accompaniment stuff is very evocative (to a layman like myself).

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Casey -- my thoughts exactly. If I lose some of those luscious grasses, then the viewer has a way to get to the marshy bog that is shades of grayed violet, brown, and olive. Thanks for clicking on the music link, too! When the voice is the point, not much accompaniment is needed.