Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Watercolor sketches

Here are just a few more of my watercolor sketches from the boat. These two guys were waiting to get through Customs and I loved how the light was on them. Man, I do love doing figures. I've got to get back to that when I get home.

At 5:00 am, the light was perfect on Johnstone Strait. Not too long after this painting we saw orcas near Telegraph Cove. Wow. I think I stopped breathing while I watched them. A mother and baby, coming up to the surface frequently for gulps of air. And another on the other side of our boat. Unforgettable.

You can see that I attempted the rock face of Burly Cove, too. I think that I have enough information in these sketches to paint them bigger in the studio.

Life is good. Particularly sweet some days.


2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think I see you geting a lot more out of your sketch book than before this trip. I think it compares to mastering a second language, You are getting the verbs now.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Thanks for your comment, Carrie. Yes, verbs are very helpful for making complete sentences!