Saturday, February 5, 2011

More tulips


Tulips Two
40 x 27
watercolor on Fabriano Artistico



first and second paintings from same idea

I so enjoyed my first go with watercolor and white lines (white charcoal), I decided to do it again. While I am satisfied with the finished painting, I did not enjoy painting this piece. It felt like eating a sandwich on stale bread. Or drinking a pop when its gone flat or is warm. The freshness and thrill was gone. I just didn't realize it until I was part way through with the painting. Then, sheer determination took over and I finished it.

There is a big difference between Arches cold press paper (used in my first tulip painting) and Artistico Fabriano paper. The Arches paper lets the paint flow smoothly, like a dream. The Artistico was a bad dream. The paper absorbed the paint unevenly and was prone to blooms. I didn't like how my brushstrokes showed, too, on the Artistico.

Sometimes a good idea is only good for one painting. Sometimes it's good for many. Only time will tell if this is the former or the latter.

4 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

If I hadn't read the narrative I wouldn't have any idea that you felt the 2nd version was "stale"...but I sure could identify with what you wrote about. I've experienced exactly what you described. I think both tulip paintings are appealing..and it's true, my favorite one is the first one. :0

weekend et coup de brosse said...

j'adore cette peinture, cette fraîcheur, superbe! je suis en admiration devant les "aquarellistes", car je ne pratique pas cette technique mais la peinture acrylique et huile très souvent au couteau, bon dimanche.
cath
Venez me voir sur weekend et coup de brosse!

Suzanne said...

I love your choice of words to describe the frustration. My experience with the Fabriano was some years ago at a watercolor workshop. The initial washes for the flowing sky colors and wisps of clouds just weren't working. I gave up and switched back to my Arches. What I do see in your painting is lovely color choices and how the white charcoal makes the tulip images more appealing. Some have refered to this approach being more like graphic design (in another WC workshop) but personally, I love the effect.

Unknown said...

Oh I needed this little brush with spring. Colors are very appealing.
I used to have high admiration for Fabriano paper but now I use papers with more sizing.