Monday, April 4, 2011

Sketching palm trees

Elegant Writer and water sketch

Ink and watercolor wash

Palms blowing in the wind
Only my sketchbook, pens, and watercolor field kit on this trip. Somehow the limitations of media provide an interesting challenge. I think that my sketches are improving. My thoughts about what to sketch are changing, too. 

Palm trees are everywhere in this desert community. The farmers market sells fresh dates (do you like dates?) and there are giant date farms outside the many bedroom communities. The trees have such a playful look to them, like Dr. Seuss characters with mischief on their minds.

Mom's team won their Bocci ball games today so they will go into the tournament games on Thursday. I have to say, I LOVE this stuff!! And the sunshine and heat are a delight.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ah,those palm sketches are inviting. Congradulations to your Mom's team winning!
DC had morning snow and lots of cold rain. I like the playful sketches.

SamArtDog said...

I hope you're giving these terrific desert sketches their own section in your book. They're otherworldly.

Yay for Bocce! Much more fun and better sounding than shuffleboard.

Of course, Dr. Seuss would name his palm tree something like Elegant Elmer.

Nick said...

I like the palm trees. Whenever I try to draw them they always look like some sort of firework on the top of a stack of chunky tin cans. Yours are much better. :-D

John Dyhouse AKA Artyfax said...

Love the pastel header!

I am fond of sketching trees but alas no palm trees in the UK; except at the holiday resorts on the south coast. So dont get to sketch this particular tree very often. I think they do make interesting shapes tho' (love the reference to Dr Seuss).