Saturday, January 30, 2010

Did you wash your hands?


On Bus 38 to Union Square
18 x 18


Last May I spent a weekend in San Francisco with girlfriends. We did all kinds of things: cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf, the Legion of Honor Museum, "Beach Blanket Babylon," walks, shopping, sitting in the sunshine, it was the best kind of fun.

We took a cab out to the Legion of Honor Museum, but took the bus back to our hotel on Union Square. All kinds of folks take the bus and I had my sketchbook out and tried to sketch as many faces as I could. This Italian woman was not happy that I was sketching her. No, she was mad! She charmed me with her lined face, fierce expression, dark eyebrows, and wobbly ear lobes. I'm only glad that she didn't curse me with some ancient Italian curse!

From the sketch, this painting. Which I just had framed. And now it hangs in my bathroom.

Her wary face makes me use lots of soap when I wash up! I love it!!

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

How well you capture her mood. Great painting ! I remember that bus route myself. Very well...and it may be getting repeated next week.

Anonymous said...

With a blog name like Art and Music, I just had to follow along!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Thanks Joni! Glad to have you here!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Have a great trip to SF, Suzanne! I look forward to hearing about your museum adventures!

Celeste Bergin said...

She does look a bit put out... She has character..that is for certain! I am glad you immortalized her.

Karen Lewis said...

Love her expression, and your commentary.

Karen Lewis

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Karen and Celeste-- thanks for stopping by! I'm sure the Italian lady (I should give her a name -- suggestions?) would be even more mad to see herself captured forever. She'd really give me a stink eye!!