Friday, January 1, 2010

Measuring 2009

January 1, 2010. The beginning of a new year. I love beginnings. Anything and everything is possible. It's a giant blank journal, waiting for me to write what I will in it.

But first, a brief look back at 2009. The best goals are those with clear terms and easily measured results.

2009 Goals
  • Attend Kitty Wallis' weekly Figure Drawing Class for the year, whenever I am in town.
  • Paint at least 200 paintings.
  • Enter at least five juried shows or contests.
I am pleased to say that I accomplished or exceeded all three goals.

Kitty's figure drawing class was a challenge and I think that I have a long way to go before I assimilate the learning from her class into my paintings.

I painted 207 paintings this year, about four paintings per week. (Above you see my final painting of the year, from the reference on the blog Subject to Interpretations.)

I entered nine juried shows or contests.


Now, looking ahead to 2010, I think that maybe I need to be less of a taskmistress with myself. It seems that I will paint regularly without the pressure of a goal driving me to paint. So, this year, I will paint as often as I want to paint.

My special goal for this year is to take at least two art workshops. It will be a particular challenge this year because of a rigorous travel schedule, but I have already scheduled the first workshop for February 2010.

In addition, I will continue to work with Kitty Wallis and to pay attention to her mentoring comments. I am fortunate to be in this position and I don't want to miss anything she passes on to me.

Thank you for following my journey of art and music. I appreciate you and wish you all a very Happy New Year! Katherine

1 comment:

Tom Bailey said...

207 paintings WOW that is a ton. I considered art at one point in my life but I felt like I went to slow in my works to ever make a living doing anything with it and my final pieces did not reflect my time investment. You have some excellent works on your blog and you can work with a variety of mediums.

I hope the best for your art in the coming year.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey