Friday, May 6, 2011

Delfts Blauw and drawing

I have a small collection of Dutch ceramics. Some pieces I purchased myself during visits to my husband's place of birth. Most of the pieces are gifts from generous family and friends who have come to America for a special vacation. 

In the 1600s, when the Dutch were doing their merchant thing on the oceans of the world, the ceramicists of Delft were wowed by the Chinese pottery that came back on these ships. Not surprising, the beautiful Chinese blue and white designs were copied, since only the very rich could own originals. "Delfts Blauw" means "Delft Blue" and is the trademark stamped on all of my pieces. You can find an interesting article about it here.

While waiting for gesso to dry, I set up this little still life and thought of that famous Delft painter, Johannes Vermeer. Click here for a video of his amazing work ... painted during the same period the Dutch explorers were checking out pottery in China (and the spices of Indonesia, too!).

No comments: