Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hoping, hearing, hanging

I have an idea for a big painting, but first I will prepare a panel. This foamcore panel measures 48" square and I hope that it will be stable enough without a stabilizing brace on the back. So far, it has two coats of gesso on it (and I have some very nice gesso lines across my sweatshirt where I leaned in to reach the middle!). Tomorrow I'll add two more coats and then begin with an acrylic under painting. I am hoping that with this painting I will climb over the artistic hump I am stuck in.


It is mating season at the Refuge! The birds are pulling out the stops to sing the most beautiful songs they can in order to get the best partner this Spring. This Yellow-headed Blackbird had a lovely song, at least the first part of it was beautiful. The second part was not working so well and I tried to tell him to just repeat the first part and leave that last part out. He was still alone when I left, so I guess he kept the second part in.


You can see my painting "Over-Under-Over" this month while it hangs with the new eight+ show at O'Connor's Restaurant in Multnomah Village. The shows are always a feast for the eyes and varied in style and subject as each artist chooses something new for the new show. Come and see work by Carrie Holst, Carolyn Rondthaler, Kitty Wallis, Celeste Bergin, David McBride, Mary Luzinski, Eileen Nelson, and Katherine van Schoonhoven.

What are you hoping, hearing, and hanging? I'm all ears!

3 comments:

SamArtDog said...

I'm very curious about this big panel and if it will be stable. I'm glad you're doing the experiment. One suggestion: gesso the back as well. I heard it helps (was that you?). I'm also looking forward to seeing the ultimate painting.
Yellow-headed or red-headed, blackbirds' preludes are pretty, but they both degenerate into a cranky squawk. We forgive them because of their beauty. I'll resist any obvious comparisons.

Sara Mathewson said...

I was going to suggest gessoing the back too. that was in Maggie Price's book on pastels and making a panel. I think it was either Greg Biolcinis idea or Richard McKinley's. anyway, it will help to stabilize it. with that big of panel I would suggest more than one layer of gesso on the back. good luck!

Sara

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Hi Sam and Sara: thanks for the thoughts in and interest. When I mentioned the two coats of gesso yesterday, they were one on each side of the panel. Today, two coats later, it seems that the "right" side is starting to curl just a bit, so I might have to put another layer of gesso on the back and see what happens.

Obvious comparisons make my day! lol