Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Celeste told me to do it, so I did!

A friend gave me six untempered Masonite boards (thanks, Debra!) and I think I can use them for oil painting supports. I talked to several artists and they said that I needed to gesso the boards. So, I applied three layers of gesso to the boards with light sanding in between. They look so pretty.

But then, when I asked Celeste Bergin about it, she suggested that I paint a giant "X" across the back to prevent warping. So, I did it. Hey, if Celeste tells you to do something, you should probably do it because she's right most of the time!

Have you used untempered Masonite boards for oil painting supports? How did you prepare them?

6 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

I regularly use masonite for my smaller, 11 x 14 is the largest I've used, pieces. I gesso them several times, as well. Sometimes I don't sand in between. I have also used masonite to glue canvas onto if I've painted on a sheet from a canvas pad.

Celeste Bergin said...

Great job Kvan! Can't wait to see what you'll do with them!

Jerry Carlin said...

The X will keep the devil out for sure but may not help in the warping. Ideally both sides and the edges should be sealed.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Pam: thanks for the suggestion. I'm curious to see how this works.

Celeste: I can't wait, either. But I have to wait a bit. Book writing retreat trumps oil painting this week.

Stonepost: thanks for stopping in and commenting. I wondered about sealing the edges and the rest of the back. I have more supports to experiment with, so I'll let you know what I discover as I use them and experiment more.

SamArtDog said...

This makes a great graphic image. Let us know if it works. I just hope Celeste doesn't tell you to play in traffic.

loriann signori said...

Hi Kvan, I use wood and sometimes masonite. Long ago I was taught (way back in art school)that I needed to seal the front, back and sides. I am guessing it gets more important as the size increases. I still seal the whole thing.