Monday, October 18, 2010

Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge


Sketch done with Elegant Writer calligraphy pen with a water wash.

Today was a scouting day for me. I heard from fellow plein air artist, Barbara Szkutnik, about a small wildlife refuge in the Columbia River Gorge. Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Washougal, WA, nestles between Highway 14 and the Columbia River.

After parking my car in the gravel lot, I brought my camera and sketchbook and pens with me on the trail. I saw nice views of grasses, rows of trees, glimpses of Mount Hood and Vista House on the Oregon side, and ponds and lakes. The trail was nice, but long to get to the viewpoint I finally sketched. Not a great spot for pastel painting because my gear is pretty heavy, but maybe when I am ready to take oils on the road, I would consider the mile and a half hike to a painting locale.


Mount Hood in the distance and the glint on the far right midway point is Vista House.

1 comment:

Bob Bennett said...

You might try visiting in the summer time as well. The views are considerably different. It seems that each season has it's own perspectives.