Friday, October 8, 2010

Turles, Gram, and more fruit!


Still no cranes at the refuge. But today, in the last bits of sunshine before the weekend storm arrives, the turtles are up on the logs sunning themselves. I don't know why they do it, but they strain their necks up and it always reminds me of my grandmother. Gram used to pull her chin up and kind of clench her teeth and ask, "Do you think my neck is wrinkled?" Even though it really did look wrinkled, I answered, "No, not at all." I might have been young, but I wasn't stupid!


A trip to the market for some new painting material. Ah, more fruit! On the right is my palette. I probably need something bigger for mixing my colors, but I'm not sure what to use and how to know what I need. What do you use for your palette and how big is it?


I'm calling it good enough. Now that I'm done painting it, I can eat that beautiful Honeycrisp apple I've been looking at all day!

4 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Love the comment about your grandmother! I use a 12 x 16" piece of glass in a plastic airtight palette box. I have a piece of light brown craft paper under the glass to make it neutral. Some people paint the back side of their glass gray.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Thanks, Pam! I think I remember Celeste telling me about glass painted gray on the back (maybe Elio Camacho usues it?). Did you make it yourself or buy it with the airtight box?

Gram was a character! Thanks for the comment.

Celeste Bergin said...

another good looking fruit painting! I like how you overlapped the shapes. In the studio I have a big piece of safety glass with gray plastic underneath it. "In the field" I have an Open M box with a plexiglass insert (painted gray on the back).

Unknown said...

I wonder if that is turtle courtship or are they just trying to warm the underside of their necks?

I used to use a piece of scratched Plexiglas.