Monday, November 9, 2009

My Refuge

It's not really my refuge at all, it is the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, a public place open to anyone who goes there during the hours they are open.

But it feels like my place. This is where I go when I am feeling low, strung out, anxious, overwhelmed, in need of inspiration.

I drive down the dirt and gravel road, cross the one lane bridge over the slough, and enter the refuge. I drive the almost five mile loop through the wetlands, and I stop whenever I want. I sometimes paint. Often sketch. Always peer across the landscape with binoculars and my Audubon Field Guide handy. I take photos. I take mental pictures. I try to absorb as much of that space as I can before I have to leave.

It is for me a very special place. I'm sure that's why I feel compelled to paint it so often. Today's painting is all about the light on the water and the bands of cool and warm color. 10 x 12.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! So beautiful!
Suzanne

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I like this one, too.