Friday, November 27, 2009

New pastels ready to use!

ready to use!


me making one of many purple pastels
Kitty Wallis' portrait of Jack
looks like he's peeking over my shoulder
(posted with permission)


You may be wondering why I have made such a fuss over the pastels made at Kitty Wallis' studio with her Moist Pastels.

Simply put, they are PURE COLOR. Kitty has spent years creating formulae for mixing pure color from pure pigments and finding just the right white chalk so that there is no hint of gray in even the lightest mixtures.

Painting with Kitty's pastels is like painting with light.

Light is a thing that cannot be reproduced, but must be represented by something else – by color. (Paul Cezanne)


Tomorrow, I will use them! I can hardly wait!

6 comments:

Kitty Wallis said...

Painting with light. I couldn't have said it better. That is my aim, with every color I mix. Thank you for sharing your colors on your blog.

Celeste Bergin said...

what a nice photo--that one of you and Jack! I know we say it over and over...but what a miracle..that we are able to hang with the unequivocal Queen of pastel herself, Kitty Wallis. It was amazing that she held that pastel party for you--but you did deserve it--because you bring so much life to the "team". GREAT photo..one of my favorites...and the pastel sticks look good too~! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Angie said...

The pastels look absolutely delicious! Which will you use first? The choice looks endless~

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Kitty, the pastels are light-filled but the pastel artist has to figure out how to use them to maximum effect! I LOVE my new pastels! Thank you again for your generosity!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Celeste! You're right! We are truly fortunate to hang with Kitty!! I am glad to be around to bring a little silliness to the group! Thanks for your comments!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Angie, the new pastels ARE delicious! And a joy to use. Hope you'll come and see them in my new paintings soon.