Monday, March 22, 2010

Aerial perspective

Near Lower Granite Dam
11 x 14 on Bristol paper


When I first heard the art term "aerial perspective," I thought "I know just what they mean!"

Well, until I learned that it meant a technique of creating depth by depicting distant objects with less detail and contrast.

Hm. Live and learn, I guess. I thought it meant the perspective a person had from the vantage point of an airplane. I have lots of experience with that! My husband and both sons are pilots and I have logged plenty of hours in the right seat, holding the charts and looking out the windows at the landscape beneath.

This painting was inspired by a flight I took with my son, Nick, over the Snake River in Washington. Still in the Palouse, but from a slightly different perspective, an aerial perspective!





3 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA said...

Love your painting, photo, AND perspective:-))

Celeste Bergin said...

beautiful! (everything..your painting, your son, you and Frank)

Suzanne said...

Your "aerial perspective" is the best! I appreciate the size of your painting when seeing the view inside your studio.
Wow. What a darling photo of you and Nick.