Friday, March 5, 2010

Grand Canyon National Park and Picasso


February Snow, Grand Canyon
18 x 24



Looking In
18 x 24


"It's going very badly," Picasso says at one point in the 1956 film, The Mystery of Picasso (directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot).

Two days of trying to paint the Grand Canyon and I want to quote Picasso. It's going very badly, indeed.

Somehow, though, I am not discouraged. I feel like I am fumbling my way to where I will eventually discover how to paint not only what I see when I am at the Grand Canyon, but also my feeling that I will burst from wonder and awe. I am far from that today. In fact, today it's going very badly!



1 comment:

Celeste Bergin said...

maybe you aren't feeling discouraged because these paintings are good! I haven't been there--but you seem to have captured the vastness and "deepness"--will you do more? There is so much that is positive here.