Wednesday, June 23, 2010

From the Sketchbook

We are finally in Prince Rupert, with wifi, and I can share a bit with you. My sketchbook is looking marvelous and I'm excited to show it to the folks back home.

The boat above was parked at the Shearwater dry dock area. Shearwater was the location of a WWII PBY air base and the hangar building still has timbers that date back to the war.

At the fuel dock in Shearwater I met the nicest young man. About 20 years old, he told me about how he used to live in Bellingham, WA, but now loves living on the water in BC. This location is pretty remote for a young man, and when I asked him about it, he said, "Ebay is GREAT!" Made me laugh.
When the weather looked like it would improve for our run from Vancouver Island to the central BC coast, we stopped at the above little anchorage near Port Hardy. It was beautiful and I could not resist a quick sketch at about 9:30 pm.

I see this scene a lot. Rocky bit with a lighthouse or light beacon on it, islands with trees and more trees and more trees. This sketch says "52 degrees North" but we are now even north of 54 degrees here at Prince Rupert.
This was my view one evening of the pattern of light on the water. Couldn't you just fall in love with an image like that?

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Couldn't I just??? Didn't I just!

Quicksilver and India ink and strangely metallic.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Mesmerizing!