Thursday, June 17, 2010

Waiting for weather

At least twice a day, we listen to the weather broadcast to see if the conditions ahead of us are improving and making for a safe passage. So far, strong winds (to 20 kts) and moderate seas (swells/waves of 9 feet or more) have kept us tucked up in the bay near Port McNeill.

This kind of waiting around for weather to improve is not new to us. We've done it before with the boat. But, we've also done it many times with flying small airplanes. You don't rush ahead when a thunderstorm is ahead. Boat or plane. Safety first. Always.

I decided to paint the same scene in a variety of ways today. The low tide has revealed the beach at the end and sides of this point. Later in the day, high tide will bring the water line up to the bases of the trees. I'll paint again then.

Done on Wallis Museum Paper with watercolor under paintings.


I used the little Koi field kit for watercolor, and a 1" flat brush.
I love the effect of an under painting.

5 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

pastel box looks dangerously close to the water! Love the painting--you captured the weather!

SamArtDog said...

Glad to hear patience is with you. Besides, it's not like you don't have anything to do. These paintings really nice. I'm wicked partial to the first.

Stay dry and pray for flat.

Casey Klahn said...

I love both - favor the second. I have been up the IP, and that is it in a nutshell. Wonderful; seas!

JeMA said...

Hope you made it through the weather. I enjoyed your photo of your workspace on the boat! You have a great blog, glad I found it!

Carrie H. said...

I'm really glad there is no oil drilling along the Inside Passage.
Stay safe and dry and out of 20 knt winds.