Saturday, August 13, 2011

blue cattails

7 x 11, pastel on BFK
Still working my way around the color wheel with the cattails paintings. This time it's all about blue and its analogous and complementary colors. By creating my own textured surface (Acrylic Pastel Ground on Rives BFK paper), I feel like I'm speaking my native language with another native language speaker. All of the lines and bumps make perfect sense to me, because I created them.

When I first started to hear about colors and their complements, I thought artists were referring to "compliments." As if the blues and violets in this painting whispered to the oranges and yellows, "Oh, darling, you look divine! That dress is mahvelous! And your shoes are amazing! Come here and sit with us at the popular table. Really! You must!"

What a letdown to learn that I was wrong.

3 comments:

Cmichaudart said...

ahh, but sometimes the purples DO say that to the oranges in a painting....I like that thought!

SamArtDog said...

If you were wrong, then so was I. As were red and green. No way!

Debra Jones said...

I think these complements will get along just fine at the table together!! Beautiful !!