Saturday, August 27, 2011

longing for peace

watercolor sketch, urn with geraniums

Franciscan Villa of Bridal Veil, OR


beautiful interior with ceiling details

front door entrance with reflecting pond and lily pads
My group, the Portland Plein Air and Studio Painters, were privileged to be invited to paint and sketch at the Franciscan Villa at Bridal Veil, OR. Kathy Allegri has hosted several paint outs here, but this is the first time I have been able to attend.

The grounds are lovely, complete with waterfall, formal gardens, fountains, trails, stone foot bridges, and many benches for quiet contemplation and rest. The villa is the residence for the teaching Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist and we were warmly welcomed and invited in to rest in the cool of the parlor.

I have deep family roots in Catholicism and my family tree has three nuns (two deceased) in the great-aunt generation. The quiet, the beauty, the statues, the reminders of St Francis of Assisi were soothing elements to this serene spot. I am so glad I was able to go this time. You can see more photos from the day here.

Quiet and beauty and a longing for a peaceful life resonate with me, as does the 13th century prayer of St Francis of Assisi, and the hope of many, regardless of religion or belief.


No comments: