Friday, August 12, 2011

white

He said it many times during the course of our workshop last month, so I decided to take Elio Camacho at his word.

"Find your weaknesses," he urged. "Start with all white objects in a still life and see if you can see and paint the changes in temperature, value, and still describe the shapes of your objects."



10 x 8, oil on canvas panel
I understand that I may be a while at this particular exercise. Say, 200 or more. I won't share all of them on the blog, but here is the first. All white still life. In oil. Per Elio Camacho. I painted it, photographed it, then wiped it away. This was fun to do and I can see that I have plenty to learn.

I am using one of the limited palettes Elio suggested. Yellow Ochre, Viridian, Alizarin Crimson, white, and black. I think that this is the "Zorn Palette."

Speaking of white makes me think of the Beatles' White Album! What is your favorite song? I have many favorites, here's one ...

3 comments:

Ellemieke said...

Irene likes "Dear Prudence" (http://youtu.be/UvmIfWHlJTk)... her all time favorite!

And I know that someone loves "Julia" best ;-) !!

Cmichaudart said...

you were brave to pick up the challenge, something I should try soon; thanks for the nudge.

Elio said...

Congratulations...

Keep up the hard work.